Beginning e-Textile Development
Electronic textiles (e-textiles) entails the combination of electronics and fabrics to form”smart” textile products. It is an emerging technology with immense opportunities in the subject of wearables fashion engineering. And even though there are many e-textile development platforms on the market, this book utilizes the Wearic smart textile kit, a modular design platform, to get you construction projects and experiments readily and quickly.
This book presents the vital skills necessary to get started developing e-textiles. You will use the BBC micro:little microcontroller for several of the projects, and with few exceptions, they need no wiring and soldering. In the long run, you’ll be able to apply and sew electronics to wearables, garments, and clothes in this emerging technology.
Starting e-Textile Development presents the essential elements to get you started with developing e-textiles.
What You Will Learn
- App with the BBC micro:bit
- Add lights to your wearables using LED fabrics
- Utilize different cloth sensors to measure warmth, detect water, actuate attachments, and enable sense touch and pressure
- Actuate attachments on wearables with muscle activity and pulse
- Create chemistry-based color-changing fabrics using thermochromic pigments
- Use Bluetooth Low Energy to send sensor data to mobile apps and WiFi to send sensor data to the ThingSpeak IoT analytics platform support
Who This Book Is For
Beginners to the e-textile industry seeking a detailed toolkit. Fashion designers, Producers, scientists, engineers, and students can all benefit from this book.