Prepare Your Data for Tableau
- Author: Lori Blackshear, Tim Costello
- ISBN: 1484254961
- Year: 2019
- Pages: 202
- Language: English
- File size: 7.7 MB
- File format: PDF
- Category: Computer Science
concentrate on the most important and most often overlooked factor in an effective Tableau endeavor –data. Without a reliable data source, you won’t achieve the outcomes that you expect in Tableau. This book does more than teach the mechanisms of data preparation. It teaches you: how to examine data in a new way, to comprehend the most frequent problems that hinder analytics, and how to mitigate these factors one by one.
This amazing sales demo doesn’t work as well with poor data. The unfortunate truth is that almost all data starts out in a less-than-perfect state. Data prep is hard.
Traditionally, we had been pressured into the world of this database where complicated ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) surgeries made by the information team did all of the heavy liftings for us. Luckily, we’ve moved past those days. With the introduction of the Tableau Data Prep instrument, you can now handle most of the common Information Prep and cleanup tasks by yourself, at your desk, and without the support of this data group. This essential book will guide you through:
- The layout and significant Areas of the Tableau Data Prep instrument
- Connecting to information
- Data quality and consistency
- The Form of this information. Is your data-oriented in rows or columns? How to decide? Why does it matter?
- What’s the degree of detail in the source information? Why is that significant?
- Combining source information to bring in additional rows and fields
- Saving the information stream and the outcome of our information recovery work
- Common cleanup and installation tasks in Tableau Desktop
What You Will Learn
- Recognize data sources that are good candidates for analytics in Tableau
- Link to the server, and cloud-based data resources
- Profile data to better understand its content and construction
- Rename areas, correct data types, group data points, and aggregate numeric data
- Pivot data
- Join information from the local, server, and cloud-based sources for unified analytics
- Review the measures and outcomes of every phase of the Data Prep process
- Output new information resources that can be reviewed in Tableau or any other analytics instrument
Who This Book Is For
Tableau Desktop users who want to: connect to data, profile the data to identify shared issues, clean up those topics, join to further data sources, and save the newly cleaned, joined data so it can be utilized more efficiently in Tableau.