Visual Studio Extensibility Development
- Author: Rishabh Verma
- ISBN: 1484258525
- Year: 2020
- Pages: 440
- Language: English
- File size: 21.6 MB
- File format: PDF, ePub
- Category: Programming
This book will cover every facet, starting from creating an expansion to publishing it and making it available to the end-user.
The book starts with an introduction to the fundamental concepts of Visual Studio including data structures and design patterns and moves forward with the fundamentals of this VS extensibility model. Here you will learn how to operate on Roslyn — the .NET compiler platform — and also load extensions at VS. Next, you will go through the extensibility model and see how different extensions, such as menus, controls, and application windows, can be plugged right into VS. Moving forward, you’ll cover developing VS extensions and configuring them along with demonstrations on customizing expansion by creating options pages. Further, you will learn to make custom code snippets and use a debugger visualizer. Next, you will go through the production of project and project templates including installation of VS extensions using constant integration (CI). Eventually, they will learn tips and shortcuts for Visual Studio and its extensibility and integration with Azure DevOps.
After reading Visual Studio Extensibility Development you will be able to create, deploy, and customize extensions from Visual Studio IDE.
- Code Visual Studio extensions from scratch
- Customize extensions by creating a tools options page for them
- Create project templates, thing templates, and code snippets.
- Work with code generation using T4 templates
- Code analysis and refactoring using Roslyn analyzers
- Create and set up a personal extension gallery and then upload the extensions
- Upload a VS extension with CI
- Ship your expansion into Visual Studio Marketplace